Friday 7 September 2012

Stress and pain...

Hi Everyone!

I have been away for a little while because of personal things that kept me from writing. Finally I found some quiet time to write and reflect on the passed week.

I have decided to write about the affects of stress on people with fibromyalgia. First of all I want to say that stress doesn't cause fibromyalgia, but plays probably the one of the biggest roles in triggering the pain. As I have first hand experience from this I decided to share it so we can all learn from it.

What happened to me this week was completely out of my control. I did not look for stress, but stress found me! I have been avoiding stress-full situations and trying to keep calm emotionally.

Some days are better than others and daily stress fluctuates in intensity.

Then you get a slam-dunk from outside that in one instant bombards you with so much emotional stress.

And I can tell you that stress definitely makes the pain worse. I have been so sore in every inch of my body. I have barely been able to get out of my bed for the past few days. And sleep has eluded me! I actually woke up in the middle of the night with extreme leg and hip pain. No matter what I took nothing helped with the headaches and other pain.

I sometimes struggle to cope with everything and wish I could live a stress-free life. I wish I could find that place, but it's unrealistic to think that you can live stress-free. We all have stress in our daily lives and when we get the added stress, instead of just feeling stressed-out, it is like a switch goes on in our bodies and it comes out through the pain. And lots of it!

So that's the way the cookie crumbles. Now we have to learn how to cope with the stress and make the pain go away. I don't have the answer yet, but will keep trying. I have been doing a lot of yoga breathing exercises but that only helps for a short while. I think I will try and apply what my doctor says about pain, "prevention is better that cure" Avoid it when you can and when you can't just try and go with the flow!

Thanks for reading, and happy blogging to everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment